“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
When it comes to the world of goal setting, a lot of people tend to always approach the process the same exact way. They may pivot their strategy every now and then, but they still have the same habits. I have been known to be guilty for doing this as well so it’s not to point out anyone in particular. It’s just that I learned and pivoted throughout the months and I invite you to do the same.
What is the constant rollercoaster ride we tend to be on when setting goals? Let’s think about the biggest, most important goal we can ever set for ourselves: our new years’ resolutions. How does that usually go?
- You are excited for the New Year because it’s a new beginning. A fresh start or a blank slate if you may.
- You sit down and write out all of these goals for your new year and call it “Your New Year resolutions” or “Goals for 2021”.
- You feel like, and I shall quote this accurately, “this is gonna be my year!”
- With that thought, you are motivated to start working on these goals ASAP.
Ready for the next part?
- You work and work, chipping away at the goals and you start to see momentum.
- You keep going with the thought “oh yeah, I got this!!”
- 1-2 months later, you are hit with your first obstacle and are defeated.
- “Oh well, guess it’s not for me this year. I’ll just put it on hold for next year. I’ll definitely get it next year!”
- Rinse, wash, repeat.
When setting goals, we tend to get excited about the process without understanding the whole process. Life isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. When it comes to setting goals that will ultimately help you grow, you are essentially stepping into the unknown and the unknown is dark. The path is dark and you have to rely on yourself (and others who help you along the way) to get to that finish line through the good days and the bad days.
To achieve your goal, you’re going to reach the finish line with some scars and bruises. Call them battle scars. They are a part of your growth.
With that being said, setting goals to make 2021 your best year ever involves creating a mindset shift that supports your best year ever.
That mindset shift has four different aspects you need to consider to really make 2021 your best year ever.
The Four Mindset Aspects
- You maintain clarity by reviewing your goals and your mission every single day, keeping them at the top of your mind.
- The key to achieving your goals is by creating a relationship with your goals. If you show a loved one attention, love, and support one minute and then just forget about them the next, what do you think the result would be? That relationship wouldn’t flourish or even sustain because it’s one-sided.
- Most people tend to use a “set it and forget it” mentality when dealing with their goals – they set their goals and then they forget those goals, leading to not achieving those goals most, if not all, of the time.
- How are you showing up in relation to your goals? Do you need to pivot along the way?
- Get clear on your WHY – why did you set these goals? Why are you working towards them? Why are these important to you? What are the benefits of your achievement of these goals?
- The fundamental purpose of a goal, as in the greatest benefit available to you, is not reaching the goal. It’s who you become as a result of giving it all you have. Whether you reach the goal or not, it’s the growth that lasts forever.
- Define your purpose in writing. When doing that, consider the ultimate purpose to become the person you need to be to create what you want in your life or to become the best version of yourself. It’s not mandatory, that doesn’t have to be your purpose, but I would greatly encourage you to play around with that idea and see what comes up for you in terms of feelings, motivations, and thoughts. Make that ultimate purpose your fundamental purpose, but then add more that are specific to you. The more specific you go, the better. Have fun with this. Let your mind run free, don’t question anything you feel could be your purpose, and just enjoy the process.
3. Unwavering Faith
- You have to maintain unwavering faith in your ability to overcome any obstacle, to keep pushing forward in the midst of challenges, and the faith that you can make it to the finish line in regard to your best year ever.
- The best way to do this is through affirmations.
- In the midst of fear, replace it with faith and keep moving forward.
- Resilience is the ability to respond proactively to adversity.
- Resilience is not something you are born with; it is a choice.
- Adversity is inevitable. You are going to face challenges. It’s just how life works. You can’t live life without challenges.
- When we set goals, a lot of us tend to throw in the towels in a sense when it comes to some unfortunate, unpredictable events that come our way and tends to make the journey to our goals a little bit harder than a few minutes ago.
- This concept goes back to the idea that who you become depends on how you show up. How are you going to show up in the face of adversity?
Are you going to show up with resiliency and brush it off and keep moving forward when faced with obstacles or will you let the obstacle discourage you and defeat you? Those who are highly successful choose the first option; everyone else chooses second.
2020 was a crazy year. 2020 was when we were introduced to the father of all unknown circumstances and it caught us off guard as we were forced out of our comfort zone and had to adapt to what normalcy will become moving forward. The worst of it is over. We are in 2021 now and it is time for you to take all the lessons in 2020 and apply them to your successful life because the tides are in your favor, friend.
You survived 2020 and now it’s time to collect your winnings.
This article was just the beginning of helping you.
If you want to take action and really step into your greatness in 2021, I have created a free guide that goes deeper into goals and introduces you to the eight areas of life you should be focusing on if you want to live a more complete life.
Take care and always remember you are one decision away from your birthright. Learn it, embrace it, and harness the power within.